The Law Offices of W. Dan Mahoney, P.C.
Schedule a free consultation
Personal Injury & Workers' Compensation Finding the right lawyer is not another complication; it's a step toward a better resolution.
In This Section

What if I want to reopen my workers' compensation case?

Coloradans who are injured on the job have the right to seek workers' compensation benefits. If their claim is approved, the worker will get the benefits they need, which can include the wages that were lost while they were unable to work and compensation for medical care. It is important to remember that not all cases are the same. In some cases, the claim might have been closed, but the person finds that medical care and disability benefits are still needed.

For those in this situation, it is important to know what the law says and how they can succeed in getting their workers' compensation case reopened. They have the right to file a petition to have their claim reopened. This will be done through the insurance company. The insurer can refuse to reopen the claim. If this happens, the worker can contact the Office of Administrative Courts to file for a hearing.

The filing to reopen the claim can be made within six years of the injury or two years from the date the worker last received benefits. When the person wants to reopen the case but these dates have passed, the request can be made within two years from the date of the last medical benefits. A case can only be reopened if there was a mistake, an error or the person had a change in their condition.

If there was a written agreement between the insurer and the claimant and the agreement stated that the right to reopen the case was waived or surrendered, the only way it can be reopened is if there was a mutual mistake based on material fact or if fraud occurred. Should the case be reopened, the payments will be based on what the wages were when the injury occurred. Reopening the case has no impact on money that has already been paid, except in cases where overpayment occurred.

Being approved for workers' compensation benefits does not mean that the case is over and the worker will never need help with their claim again. Many issues can arise that make it necessary to have legal assistance. A law firm that has experience in all areas of workers' compensation can assist with reopening a case to get medical coverage or temporary disability.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

The Law Offices of W. Dan Mahoney, P.C.
700 17th St.
Suite 1300
Denver, CO 80202

Phone: 303-225-7396
Fax: 303-407-2400
Map & Directions