The Law Offices of W. Dan Mahoney, P.C.
Schedule a free consultation
Personal Injury & Workers' Compensation Finding the right lawyer is not another complication; it's a step toward a better resolution.
In This Section

Can I work part-time if I am getting workers' compensation?

Not all Colorado workers who have been injured on the job in a workplace accident or who are suffering from an occupational disease will be completely unable to work for the entire time they are recovering. For many, they can recover incrementally and begin working part-time. However, a common concern they will have is if they can continue getting workers' compensation benefits to account for the wages they have lost by not working full-time and will still receive coverage for medical expenses. Understanding how returning to work part-time is handled is key to a case.

For workers who cannot get back to working full-time because of the medical issues, returning on modified duty with lower wages and hours can make the worker eligible to get temporary partial disability (TPD) benefits. When this is calculated, the worker will get two-thirds of the difference from what the person's weekly wages were when the injury came about and the earnings that he or she will get when working part-time. There is a maximum the law allows and it cannot be surpassed.

These wages will continue for a specified duration. That includes: when the person can get back to work at the wages earned before the injury; when the treating physician gives a written release to get back to modified work, there is an offer for this work and the worker starts or refuses; and if the treating physician comes to the determination that the worker has achieved maximum medical improvement (MMI) meaning that the issue that led to the disability has stabilized and there will be no improvement regardless of the medical treatment given.

Workers' compensation can be a complex matter. Workers who might be able to get back to work and can only achieve a certain level for the time being or permanently can get TPD and receive a portion of their wages while also receiving workers' compensation benefits. If there is confusion about this, a disagreement or any other problem, a law firm that helps people with their workers' compensation claims should be called for guidance and advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

The Law Offices of W. Dan Mahoney, P.C.
700 17th St.
Suite 1300
Denver, CO 80202

Phone: 303-225-7396
Fax: 303-407-2400
Map & Directions